About MS Outlook Application & PST File
MS Outlook is a small application/program of MS Office suite that acts as personal information manager. Basically this application is used as an email-client application but also contains functionalities to manage calendars, contacts, notes, tasks, journals, email-attachments and others. It is often used as a stand-alone application but can also work with Microsoft Exchange Server, SharePoint Server and others to share information stored in it.
It stores all its data in a special file i.e. PST (Personal Storage Table) file which got its name from the file format that it uses. It is an open proprietary file format of Microsoft that is used to store messages, calendar events, contacts and other crucial items. The size of PST file has always been a point of discussion among its users because Outlook 2002 and its earlier versions used to use ANSI encoding for its PST file which limit its size to 2 GB only. Due to this people use to face several issues like error messages, PST file corruption, inaccessibility of data stored etc. when it exceeds the size. But from Outlook 2003 onwards this issue has been addressed when the standard format of PST file has been changed to Unicode. Now Outlook 2003 and 2007 default PST file size is increased to 20 GB and that of Outlook 2010 has increased to 50 GB.
Location of Outlook File
Outlook 2007 and previous on Windows XP
"C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"
Outlook 2007 and previous on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
Outlook 2010 on Windows XP
"C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents\Outlook Files"
Outlook 2010 and 2013 on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
"C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Outlook Files"How Outlook PST File Corrupts - Reasons Behind the Issue!
Corruption of PST file is really very heartbreaking for people who use Outlook on a regular basis. So, it is important for them to know the reasons behind the corruption so that they can deal with the situation in a better manner and can also take required precautions to avoid it. Look below for the possible causes behind PST file corruption -
- Upgrading Outlook to its higher version may corrupt existing PST file as times.
- Trying to repair corrupt file using inbuilt Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) can worse the condition of corruption if it fails to repair it.
- Sharing the file over network can corrupt it as multi user share and modifying the PST file at a same time increase the chances of the file corruption.
- If PST file exceeds the size of 2 GB then it is more prone to corruption. (Applicable to Outlook 2002 and its prior versions only)
- Unknown virus attacks can also damage the file making its data inaccessible.
- Terminating MS Outlook application abruptly can also corrupt the file.
- Header corruption of PST file can also lead to inaccessibility of data stored in it.
- Operating system re-installation can also corrupt the file.
How to Repair Corrupt/Damaged Outlook PST File?
Once the PST file corrupts, repairing it is the only option to access and restore the data stored in it. Well, you can perform this task easily using inbuilt Scanpst.exe Tool that gets installed along with the MS Office suite. Being a small tool it has the ability to repair minor corruption issues of the PST file. But it is not very effective if your PST file is large in size and the corruption level is high. So, it is better that you go with Outlook PST Repair software which is especially designed to repair and restore any kind of broken or damaged PST and OST files. It scans the corrupt file thoroughly and repairs it to a new healthy file from which you can easily restore all your crucial stuffs like mails, attachments, contact details, appointments, notes, calendar items etc. It has even the ability to repair highly encrypted and password protected files smoothly as well. So, without wasting any more time just download PST Repair Tool now.
Features of Outlook PST Repair Software
- Repairs Damaged PST File Of Course - Any kind of corrupt/broken/damaged Outlook PST and OST file can easily be repaired and restored using this utility.
- Repairs Large Sized PST File - Using this powerful tool you can easily repair PST file larger than 2 GB in size at once without any hassle or issue.
- Repairs Encrypted & Password Protected File - With this software you have scope to even repair and recover data from password protected and encrypted file. With this functionality you can keep your email information secure.
- Supports Accidental Deleted Mail Recovery - This tool allows you to even recover emails which have been accidentally deleted from your Inbox as well as from Deleted Items Folder.
- Allows Selective Recovery - Benefit of using this tool is that it also lets you to select specific items that you want to recover and restore back in the computer. Once the process is finished recovered PST file can then be easily imported into the Outlook.
- Preview Mails & Other Items - Before restoration of repaired PST file it displays preview of all the scanned items so that user can choose items or mails to recover.
- Really Very Compatible - It works great with MS Outlook 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002 and 2000 and with OS Windows 8/7/Vista/2003/XP/2000/NT4 (SP6).
Steps to Repair Outlook PST Files
Step 1: Download, Install and Run Outlook PST Repair software. Then click 'Select Outlook File' to choose the PST file to work on or you can find the specific PST file as well.
Step 2: Once the PST file is selected, click on 'START' button to begin the scanning.
Step 3: When the scanning process completes, all the recovered mailbox folder and other items will be listed on the left pane. You can select any item you want.
Step 4: After selecting all or some of the items click on 'Save Recovered File' button to recover the stuffs on the designated location on PC.
Step 4: When the saving process completes, a dialog box will confirm the process and show the 'Destination path' and 'Recovered File Size'.